Sunday 1 February 2015

Rear Suspension Part I

The first thing I have to say is how much I'm looking forward to the spring. It's been bloody cold in the garage and there's no natural light available in the evenings. Roll on March. Anyway, this week I've started on the rear suspension. I've fitted the wishbones, all came together OK. I found that, when torqued up, the wishbone was pinching up against the front diff carrier bracket but not all against the rear one (I could spin the washer). I varied the spacer washers front and rear and achieved a balance that I was happy with. With the drive shafts re-assembled with new U/Js I fitted them along with the rear hubs & handbrake cables. The next step is to set the camber angle, this is adjusted with spacers that sit between the diff output and the drive shaft. Now I know the gap I have to fill I can order these up and hopefully finish the back end next weekend.

Rear Suspension



On the left you can see where the camber angle is measured (having first raised the hub to the correct height). I'm using a handy little free App on my tablet to measure the angle (I did calibrate it first).On the right you can see the gap between the diff output and the drive shaft that needs to be filled with spacers to set the angle.



No comments:

Post a Comment