Monday 16 February 2015

Front Suspension

Warmer weather this weekend and was able to keep the garage door open for most of the day. I completed the last few parts of the rear suspension including the brakes and moved onto the front.The front all went together without a hitch although I did have to spend some time getting the camber angles right, this involves shuffling washers between the front and rear of the lower wishbone.

O/S Front Wishbones & Upright

Here's the offside all set up. Have a guess how many times I've banged my shins on the stub axle every time I walk round the car!
Next job was to install the new bearings into the hubs, grease 'em up and fit them to the stub axle. You can see completed job below. The workshop manual talks about setting up the hubs with various end-float settings. But the AK supplied instructions are much easier in that it offers a sequence of steps involving various torque settings.
Front Hub with New Bearings Installed
With the hubs complete, I can fit the discs. I thought this would be a 2 minute job but removing the protective coating was much harder than I thought, until I realised that I needed to let the solvent start work for a minute or so before trying to rub it off. Below right you can see the disc fitted and left, with the caliper fitted and the bolts wire-locked. I couldn't fit the front springs as I need to order the correct bolts but I'll do this during the week.
N/S Front Disc
Front Disc with Caliper Fitted

No comments:

Post a Comment